I've always wanted a motorcycle . . . but never really wanted to scrape up a few thousand dollars for a decent example. So I would occasionally troll Kijiji looking for someone else's project. That's when I found an advertisement for "Honda CB350F frames and motor." Before I could seriously consider what I was getting myself into I pressed "contact seller." The next Monday this arrived in my shed. This was the middle of August 2017.
One was a pretty much bare, unmolested Honda CB350f frame ... somewhat rusty. The other was a 350 frame converted into a hard tail. It had an engine that turned over, handle bars, a speedometer, headlight, wiring harness and not much else.
Here's what has been done so far.
Soft-tail frame stripped, ready for sandblasting and powder-coat.
While the frame was away I started rebuilding the carbs. The previous owner was nice enough to give them a bath in an ultrasonic washer before I picked up the bike. This were pretty nasty inside, and nothing came out easily. I broke two floats trying to free the pins.
I've never rebuilt a carburetor before, but it wasn't as daunting as I thought.
Pretty much put back together with new floats, jets and seals.
Once the frame came back things started going pretty quickly.
Swing-arm was a bit of a beast to get get on. Old shocks seemed OK.
I couldn't resist test-fitting the tank and seat.
This would turn out to be a test-fitting. The triple-tree bearings needed a second go, and I would end up swapping the forks for the other set, which were more complete.
Time to get that engine out. BUT I didn't have a hoist, and nobody was free to help when I was working on the bike (mornings). So I started googling "can you put a motorcycle engine on its side. And nobody said "absolutely not!" so I drained the oil and got to work.
I removed all the bolts on the right side, and carefully leaned it over, making sure to protect my pristine patio blocks with some cardboard. The quilt was to give the bike some padding. I'm still shocked I didn't get any oil on it.
The internet said I could remove the engine with the oil-pan on. I'm pretty sire the internet is full of shit.
Freedom! (please note the safety sandals. Safety first kids!)
After a bit of grumbling, swearing, wondering if the frame was indeed for a CB350F the engine is in the frame!
Another test-fitting was in order. If you didn't know any better you might assume this was a working motorcycle!
For $75USD a new wiring harness seemed like a good investment.
I bought a battery box off of a fellow CB350F fan, and the working all of the sudden started to make sense. Also, the carbs are on!
Here's the bike, as of September 2017. I have pretty much everything I need to try starting it. If it goes, the bike will probably sit for the winter like this. if it doesn't go the engine will come out and I'll have a nice winter rebuild project on my hands in the workshop.